Conferences | Funding | Jobs | Journals | Workshops, etc.
Grants, fellowships, scholarships, and other funding opportunities geared toward or applicable to Southeast Asia studies.
For a full list of Southeast-Asia related scholarships and fellowships, including UHM-specific funding, see our Scholarships page.
Fellowship/Scholarship: East-West Center Fellowships, Scholarships and Affiliate Programs for the 2023 Academic Year
Applications are open for all EWC scholarship, fellowship and affiliation opportunities to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Hawai‘i.
More info about this grant, visit eastwestcenter.org [new window]
Cultivating the Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) Research Grants
The CHSS grant program encourages both individual and group projects (such as those bringing senior and junior scholars together) that will explore the subjects of i) democracy, ii) human rights, iii) gender, and, iv) the environment. These themes may be researched on their own, or in combination with one another, or in ways that cut across the humanities and social sciences. Preference will be given to applicants who have never received a research grant in the past and/or who are based in an under-resourced institution.
The program also welcomes proposals for special initiatives aim at the recording, preservation, and dissemination of endangered languages, oral histories, and traditional knowledge.
CHSS grants typically range from $2,000 for a short-term project to $12,000 for long-term.
The grants will be awarded with the understanding that within two years of completion of their project, the recipients will present the results of their research at an AAS-in-Asia conference, or a similar international conference, with acknowledgement of the award. Any publication based on the funded research should also acknowledge the AAS-Sweden Cultivating the Humanities and Social Sciences Research Grants.
More info about this grant, visit asianstudies.org [new window]
Deadline: Sept 30, 2022
Senior Research Fellow, Research Fellow and Postdoctoral Fellow with Asia Research Institute | Deadline: Sept 30 2022
The Asia Research Institute encourages candidates to apply for the Senior Research Fellow, Research Fellow and Postdoctoral Fellow at the institute.
All positions are for outstanding, active researchers from around the world, to work on an important piece of Asia-related research in the social sciences or humanities.
Applicants should only apply for ONE of the three types of position (i.e. Senior Research Fellow, Research Fellow or Postdoctoral Fellow).
Fore more info, visit Asia Research Institute website [new window]
Deadline: Sept 30, 2022
ASEAN-INDIA Research Training Fellowship (AIRTF) | Deadline: Oct 30, 2022
Wonderful opportunity for the researchers of ASEAN Countries to understand the research ecosystem of India – ASEAN India Research Training Fellowship AI-RTF.
For the cooperation and development of S&T endeavours, people to people connectivity play a pivotal role. ASEAN India Research Training Fellowship (AI-RTF) scheme promotes the mobility and networking of the scientists and researchers from ASEAN countries to INDIA and gives the opportunities to work on R&D institutions of India.
AMITY is open to hosting the application of the interested candidates from ASEAN countries and helping them to upgrade their research skills and expertise.
Interested candidates can register at Amity through the given Google form link [new window]
Deadline: Oct 30, 2022
CSEAS Fellowship for Visiting Research Scholars 2023/2024 | Deadline: Oct 31, 2022
Applicants must be productive scholars of high reputation under 65 years of age at the time of the fellowship appointment; those over 65 may be considered only if they are outstanding. This fellowship is not available to individuals currently pursuing graduate degrees or post-doctoral studies. Only experienced librarians are eligible to apply for the library position. Scholars who have previously held CSEAS fellowships must wait six years after the completion of their fellowships before reapplying.
Applicants will be notified of their application status by the end of January 2023.
For more information, please visit the Fellowship page [new window]
Deadline: Oct 31, 2022
Shan Collections at the British Library | Deadline: Nov 1, 2022
The Shan Collections Fellowship is aimed at individuals from Cambodia, China, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar and Thailand. This fellowship will be hosted by the Asian and African Collections department. The British Library holds about 3000 manuscripts from Southeast Asia, forming the largest and most significant collection of Southeast Asian manuscripts in the UK. Of these, approximately 100 manuscripts, divided between the Burmese and Thai collections, are written in Shan language and script, spanning from the 18th–19th centuries, and including some of the highlights of these collections. The Library also holds ca. 100 print publications in Shan, including early printed books from the 19th century. This Chevening British Library Fellowship is an opportunity to work closely with curatorial staff in the Library’s Southeast Asia Collections on cataloguing and researching Shan language manuscripts and print publications.
For more information, visit Chevening website [new window]
Deadline: Nov 1, 2022
The Robert H.N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies | Deadline: Nov 16, 2022
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) invites applications for The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies 2022-23 competitions. In cooperation with the Foundation, ACLS awards fellowships and grants supporting work that will expand the understanding and interpretation of Buddhist thought in scholarship and society, strengthen international networks of Buddhist scholars, and increase the visibility of new knowledge and research on Buddhist traditions.
For more information, visit H-Net services website [new window]
Deadline: Nov 16, 2022
Research Fellowship: Senior/Dissertation Research Fellowships with Center for Khmer Studies | Deadline: Nov 30 2022
The Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) is pleased to announce that we have officially begun accepting applications for our 2023-2024 academic year Research Fellowship Program. Cambodian, American, and French doctoral candidates, and postdoctoral researchers are eligible to apply from now until November 30, 2022.
If you are a postdoctoral researcher, please visit the senior fellowships page [new window] for more information and application form.
If you are a doctoral candidate, please visit the dissertation research fellowships page [new window] for more information and application form.
Deadline: Nov 30, 2022
2023-24 Lee Kong Chian NUS-Stanford Distinguished Fellowship on Contemporary Southeast Asia | Deadline: Jan 27, 2023
The Lee Kong Chian Fellowship is the core of the Lee Kong Chian NUS-Stanford Initiative on Southeast Asia, a joint effort established in 2007 by the National University of Singapore and Stanford University to raise the visibility, extent, and quality of scholarship on contemporary Southeast Asia. The infrastructure for research pursued through the fellowship is provided by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at NUS and the Southeast Asia Program in the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center (Shorenstein APARC) at Stanford. Although we do not expect the following guidelines for applicants to change, they could be altered depending on conditions related to a viral threat such as COVID-19.
Lee Kong Chian NUS-Stanford fellows spend three to four months at Stanford and two to four months at NUS, writing and conducting research on, or related to, contemporary Southeast Asia. One or two candidates may be awarded fellowships each year. Fellows have opportunities to present their research and participate in seminars and workshops organized by relevant campus units. Exposure to the two universities and their scholars and resources enriches and diversifies collegial feedback on the fellows’ research projects and facilitates intellectual exchange and networking on both sides of the Pacific.
For more information, visit the Fellowship page [new window]
Deadline: Jan 27, 2023
Postdoc Funding: The Center for Asian Research-Arizona State University & ASU School of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies | Deadline: Ongoing
The Center for Asian Research at Arizona State University invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Scholar. The selected candidate will collaborate with ASU faculty in teaching and researching topics related to Asia and its global connections in a variety of capacities, including curriculum development, faculty workshops, and community engagement. The successful candidate will develop and teach one large-enrolling gateway course per semester centered on inter-Asian and interdisciplinary topics such as food, sustainability, culture, or fashion. The initial appointment is made on a fiscal year basis, as a full-time, one-year appointment with the possibility of a one-year renewal based upon satisfactory performance and availability of resources. This position is a non-tenure track, benefits-eligible appointment. This is a grant funded position, contingent on the availability of future grant funding
More info about this funding, visit ASU webpage [new window]
UH Funding (recurring)
- UH System Common Scholarship Application (Deadline: March
- UH Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Presentation Funding
- UH Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Project Funding
- Manoa Political Internship program (Deadline: October 15, March 15)
- For faculty and staff: Office of Student Equity Excellence and Diversity (SEED) Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access and Success (IDEAS) grants (Deadline: Feb 4, Oct 7)
- UH Library Treasures Scholarships (Deadline: April 29, 2022)
- University of Hawai’i System Common Scholarship Application
- Urgent Student Relief Fund
- Manoa’s CARES Act grants
- AAUW Honolulu Career and Leadership Development Grant
- AAUW Honolulu Academic Scholarship
- EWC Graduate Degree Fellowship (MA and PhD students)
- The Society of Asian Art of Hawai’i Inc. Scholarships
- SEALC-GETSEA Language Exchange Committee Tuition Support
- UH Manoa Fulbright US Student Program
- Fulbright US Scholar Program
- Graduate Assistantships at UHM Theatre or Dance degree programs
Previous Grants (recurring)
- Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy (PhD students)
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship (PhD students)
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
- 2021 Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad (GPA) Program
- 2021 CAORC – INYA Short Term Fellowships for U.S. Graduate Students
- 2021 Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship
- Rotary Peace Fellowship 2022
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship: Critical Need Language Award
- CKS-LuceSEA Research Fellowship
- Library of Congress Funding
- Mansfield-Luce Asia Scholars Network
- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- 2022 YSEALI Professional Fellows Program
- ACLS Humanities and Social Sciences Funding
- 2022 Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program
- CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship
- CKS Research Fellowships (various)
- Singapore Academies ASEAN Fellowship Programme
- Travel Awards for 2022 AAS Annual Meeting Honolulu
- Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) – Senior Fellowships, Dissertation Research Fellowships, Khmer Language and Culture Program
- The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies
- FY 2022 Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program
- Endangered Material Knowledge programme
- The University of Michigan Humanities Emerging Research Scholars Program (MICHHERS)
- Oregon Community Fund Glen Anthony May Memorial Scholarship opportunity for students of Filipino heritage and/or studying the Philippines
- SEAREG Pre-Dissertation Fellowship
- CKS Junior Resident Fellows Program
- Cambridge University – Postgraduate scholarship and grant opportunities
- 2022 CAORC-INYA Scholars Fellowship Program for U.S. Postgraduate Scholars conducting Research Work on Myanmar/Burma in a Third Country
- 2022 CAORC-INYA Short-Term Fellowships for U.S. Graduate Students Conducting Research on Myanmar/Burma in a Third Country
- The Society of Asian Art of Hawai’i Scholarship
- SEALC-GETSEA Language Tuition Support Award
- Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad (FRA) fellowship program!