Southeast Asia Calls! If you want to answer in Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Khmer, or Tagalog, we invite you to study Southeast Asian languages at the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa! The Center for Southeast Asian Studies offers academic year and/or summer Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships that include tuition and stipend. Open to U.S. citizen and permanent resident undergraduate and graduate students for study at UH-Mānoa.
Eligibility & Fellowship Information
- FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be full-time, classified students at UH-Mānoa (UHM) or in the process of applying to a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program at UHM at the time of application.
- FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students in residence at UHM to receive the Fellowship.
- East-West Center Degree Fellows are not eligible for academic year FLAS, but are eligible for summer FLAS.
- Graduate students holding an academic year FLAS are not eligible to hold a concurrent GA/TA/RA position.
- Fellowships are awarded for one academic year and/or one summer at a time (see below) and recipients may apply again for continued funding for up to two years of the Fellowship.
- Fieldwork/Research: FLAS Fellowships are not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your academic department for possible research/fieldwork funding opportunities from other sources.
All questions related to FLAS Fellowships and the application process can be directed to:
CSEAS Associate Director | Email: email@example.com
FLAS Fellowship Application Information
Summer 2023 and All Year 2023-2024 Fellowships
Application Period Opens: Monday, November 14, 2022
Application Period Closes: Tuesday, January 31, 2023
DEADLINE extended for FLAS Application: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 5pm HST
Award Notification: Friday, March 10, 2023
Eligible Applicants: Undergraduate & Graduate Students
Click HERE to access the form.
Term of Award: Summer 2023 OR All Year 2023-2024
For U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate or undergraduate students at UHM who combine modern Southeast Asian language training at the second-year level or above with a Southeast Asia area studies focus. FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students at UHM at the time of the award.
Summer 2023 Benefits for both Undergraduate and Graduate Students: $2,500 stipend and up to $5,000 for tuition for undergraduate and graduate students for summer language classes.
Graduate Student Benefits: $20,000 stipend and up to $18,000 for tuition for up to 9 credits per semester for one academic year.
Undergraduate Student Benefits: $5,000 stipend and up to $10,000 for tuition for up to 12 credits per semester for one academic year.
Language Requirement: All FLAS recipients must take a Southeast Asian language at UHM ⎯
Southeast Asian Coursework Requirement: In addition to the language requirement, all FLAS recipients must also take at least one upper division (300 level or higher) Southeast Asia area studies course each semester.
Fieldwork/Research: The FLAS is not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your department for possible research/fieldwork funding opportunities from other sources
Academic Year Fellowship section
FLAS Application Process
Please take note of the deadline above.
- Complete the online application Google Form using this link.
- Send reference forms to three referees (access the form HERE).
- Submit a COPY of your UH transcript via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of the transcript from the school in which you earned your BA/BS. No originals needed.
- If you are newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of your GRE or GMAT scores used for graduate admission.
- The transcript and/or GRE/GMAT scores should be sent as a SINGLE pdf file to: email@example.com. Please label the file as “FLAS_ApplicantLastName.pdf” and note “SEA FLAS Supplemental Materials_ApplicantLastName” as the subject of your email.
- FLAS applicants must also complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as part of the application.
SEND THE FORM-FILLABLE REFERENCE FORM TO YOUR REFEREE AND REQUEST THAT THEY SEND THE COMPLETED FORM TO THE FLAS COORDINATOR, Chizuko Allen <firstname.lastname@example.org>, BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE.
- You must have three (3) references submitted. Please consider your referees wisely. Do not leave this requirement to the last minute as professors are often inundated with requests for letters of reference.
- Send your selected referees the reference template (access the template HERE). You must remind them of the deadline for receiving these recommendations. They should be emailed to the FLAS COORDINATOR, Chizuko Allen <email@example.com>.
If you have any questions about FLAS, you can email Associate Director at firstname.lastname@example.org