Conferences | Funding | Jobs | Journals | Workshops, etc.
Calls for papers (CFPs) for professional and academic conferences related to the study of Southeast Asia.
Postings are removed after deadlines have passed, and new CFPs are highlighted bi-weekly in our email newsletter.
Have a CFP and/or conference to share? Email us.
Conference on the Quality of Basic Education in Southeast Asia | Oct 11-12, 2022
Quality education is critical for countries to build their human resource, support future economic growth and realize long-term development. Consequently, many governments have been investing heavily in education as part of their strategy to promote future competitiveness. Despite the encouraging trends in public education investments and school completion in Southeast Asian countries, however, the learning outcomes gap remains significant.
Register via Zoom webinar for Day 1 [new window] and Day 2 [new window]
2022 Council on Thai Studies (COTS) Conference: 50th Anniversary | October 21-23, 2022
The Council on Thai Studies (COTS) is an informal organization of scholars interested in all aspects of Thai studies, broadly defined. First established in 1972, COTS annually provides scholars with a venue for reporting preliminary findings, opportunities to receive prepublication feedback and a forum to discuss field and archive challenges. Please consider giving a presentation or gathering a small group for a roundtable discussion or panel. Graduate students are particularly encouraged to submit papers, although everyone is welcome. Individual topics or groupings of papers are also welcome. An effort will be made to group individual papers into panel sessions around common themes. Each presenter will have a maximum of 15 minutes for an oral presentation. This year is the 50th Anniversary of COTS, and thus this conference will be historic. Keynote speakers will include Professor Emeritus Thongchai Winichakul (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and Professor Pinkaew Laungaramsri (Chiang Mai University).
To view the conference program, visit the Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin-Madison’s website [new window]
7th International Conference on Lao Studies | 15 – 18 November 2022
The Alfred Deakin Institute for Citizenship and Globalisation (ADI), Deakin University and the Center for Lao Studies (CLS) are pleased to announce that the Seventh International Conference on Lao Studies (ICLS7) will be held on November 15-18, 2022, with the theme Science, society, and healthy futures.
It will be the first online Lao Studies Conference. The main objective of the conference is to provide an international forum for scholars and practitioners to present and discuss any research that is directly concerned with Laos.
For registration, visit the conference registration page [new window]
Call For Papers
CFP: Thematic Sessions with Southeast Asia Research Group | Deadline: Sept 26, 2022
SEAREG is pleased to announce a new initiative at our BYU conference: Thematic Sessions.
Thematic Sessions provide more established scholars of Southeast Asia, including former SEAREG Fellows, the opportunity to present their research and gain valuable feedback from the SEAREG community.
For more information about this conference, visit Southeast Asia Research Group website [new window]
The deadline for abstract submission is September 26, 2022.
CFP: 22nd International Graduate Student Conference: Recovery and Resilence in a changing World| Deadline: September 30, 2022
The East-West Center invites graduate students, and early-career professionals and scholars who have earned a graduate degree within the past three years, to submit abstracts for the 22nd Annual International Graduate Student Conference (IGSC), taking place in Honolulu, Hawai‘i, USA from February 16-18, 2023. This year’s theme is “Recovery and Resilience in a Changing World.” Therefore, we are looking for submissions from all fields that enable a deeper understanding and analysis of coordinated responses on various fronts- recovery and resilience- by communities and governments to challenges, specifically pertaining to the US and the Asia-Pacific region.
The deadline for abstract submission is September 30, 2022, at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time.
For more information and to submit your abstract, visit eastwestcenter.org [new window]
CFP: On Revival of Buddhist Libraries | Deadline: October 20, 2022
We are pleased to announce that SSBU is organizing International Conference on the “Revival of Buddhist Libraries” on 29-30 October 2022, marking the Opening of A New Complex of Shan State Buddhist University Library (SSBUL) and the 58th birthday of the Most Venerable Prof. Dr. Khammai Dhammasami, Founder and Rector of SSBU.
Abstracts due by 20 October.
CFP: Council on Thai Studies (COTS) 2022 50th anniversary | October 21 – October 23
The Council on Thai Studies (COTS) is an informal organization of scholars interested in all aspects of Thai studies, broadly defined. First established in 1972, COTS annually provides scholars with a venue for reporting preliminary findings, opportunities to receive prepublication feedback and a forum to discuss field and archive challenges. Please consider giving a presentation or gathering a small group for a roundtable discussion or panel. Graduate students are particularly encouraged to submit papers, although everyone is welcome. Individual topics or groupings of papers are also welcome. An effort will be made to group individual papers into panel sessions around common themes. Each presenter will have a maximum of 15 minutes for an oral presentation.
This year is the 50th Anniversary of COTS, and thus this conference will be historic. Keynote speakers will include Professor Emeritus Thongchai Winichakul (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and Professor Pinkaew Laungaramsri (Chiang Mai University).
CFP: 2023 Asian Studies Conference | Deadline: Oct 31, 2022
The Executive Committee of the Asian Studies Conference Japan (ASCJ) invites proposals for panels, roundtables, and individual papers to be presented at the 2023 Asian Studies Conference Japan.
Although we were forced to cancel the 2020 and 2021 conferences and move the 2022 meeting to an online-only format, the Committee has decided that conditions will permit a return to the traditional on-site format for 2023. Therefore, next year’s conference will be held on the Yotsuya Campus of Sophia University on Saturday & Sunday, July 1 & 2. As in past years, all presentations are to be delivered in English.
Proposals may be submitted online between September 15 and October 31. Results will be announced by late December. The forms and further information are available at ASCJ website [new window]
For more information, visit the conference page [new window]
CFP: International Association for the Study of Popular Music Southeast Asia: Navigating (un)sustainability | Deadline: Nov 1, 2022
Submit an abstract for a presentation in one of the below listed formats (between 250-400 words) along with a short biographical note (100 words). Organizers of panels and roundtables must submit a statement on the focus of the panel/roundtable along with an abstract from each presenter and their respective biographical notes.
Organized Panel (3-4 papers)
Roundtable (3-5 papers)
Performance lectures, music workshops, films
Other forms of creative outputs are welcome and will be considered.
For more info and abstract submission, please visit International Association for the Study of Popular Music Southeast Asia’s website [new window]
Deadline for abstract submission: Nov 1, 2022
CFP: Asian Studies Development Program 30th National Conference – Resilient Futures: Using Asian Studies to Envision a More Humanely Shared World | Deadline: Feb 1, 2023
The ASDP committee is now accepting proposals for the 2023 National Conference. Proposals can be for individual papers, panels, poster sessions, or round-table sessions and should not exceed 250 words. Proposals addressing some aspect of this year’s theme, Resilient Futures: Using Asian Studies to Envision a More Humanely Shared World, are encouraged, but we welcome any that touch on issues in Asian Studies broadly construed.
All proposals must be submitted by February 1, 2023. Early submissions greatly facilitate putting together meaningful panel sessions. No late proposals will be accepted.
For individual proposal, complete the Individual Proposal Form and submit proposals to email@example.com
For panel proposal, complete the Panel Proposal Form and submit proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yale Chapter of the International Society of Tropical Foresters (ISTF) 28th Annual Conference: “Rethinking Restoration and Recovery: Landscapes of the Past, Present, and Future in the Tropics.” January 27 – 29, 2022. (online)
- 45th CSEAS Kyoto University Hybrid Symposium, themed “Engaging Transdisciplinarity: Variegated Trajectories in Southeast Asian Studies.” February 18-19, 2022 (hybrid)
- 21st Annual IGSC Conference: Reimagining Our Shared Future, February 17-20, 2022 (online)
- 24th Cornell SEAP Graduate Student Conference: “(De)Constructing Southeast Asia,” March 11-13, 2022 (hybrid)
- 2022 School of Pacific and Asian Studies Graduate Student Conference at University of Hawai’i at Mānoa | April 6-7, 2022.
- 14th International Conference on Thai Studies “Thailand at a Global Turning Point“| April 29 – May 1, 2022
- 31st Annual Meeting of the Southeast Asian Linguistics Society (SEALS 31), May 19 – 21, 2022
- 2022 AIFIS-MSU Conference on Indonesian Studies| June 21 – 25, 2022
- EuroSEAS 2022 – Paris, 28 June-1 July 2022
- Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asian Studies National University of Singapore | July 18-22, 2022
- Asia Pacific Dance Festival Conference, “Ulana—To Weave or Knit,” August 12-14, 2022
- 2022 Philippine Studies Conference at SOAS – The 1762 British Invasion of Spanish-Ruled Philippines: Beyond Imperial and National Imaginaries | Sept 16-17, 2022
- CFP: May 20-21, 2022 & June 10-11, 2022 Workshop Inter-Asia Intermediality: A Two-Part International Workshop
- CFP: Aquatic Powers: Divine Animals of the Asia Pacific Conference, June 1-3, 2022
- CFP: Oceans as Archives University of Amsterdam, July 4 – 6, 2022
- CFP: Inclusion Economics at Yale “Enabling Gender-Sensitive Covid Recovery in Asia Conference” in Tokyo, Japan on July 12-13, 2022
- CFP: Global History Student Conference 2022 | Friedrich-Meinecke-Institut of the Freie Universität, Berlin | June 24 to 26.
- Call for Abstracts: 2nd Annual AIFIS-MSU Conference on Indonesian Studies, June 21-25, 2022 (virtual)
- CFP: 12th European Association for Southeast Asian Studies (EuroSEAS) conference | Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Campus Condorcet, Paris-Aubervilliers, France | 28 June-1 July 2022
- CFP: The Institute of Thai Studies, Chulalongkorn University’s 2022 Chulalongkorn Asian Heritage Forum, August 25-26
- CFP: SouthWest Conference on Asian Studies
- CFP: The 2nd Southeast Asian Media Studies Conference (June 9-11, 2022 via Zoom)
- Call for Papers and Presentations 38th COTSEAL ANNUAL CONFERENCE at SEASSI 2022 (Hybrid) Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity in Southeast Asian Language Teaching and Learning
- Call for Proposal: NEW YORK Conference on Asian Studies (October 7-8, 2022)
- CFP: SEADL Undergraduate Paper Award
- CFP: CLaSIC2022 Conference – “Foreign Language Education in the 21st Century: Review, Re-conceptualise, and Re-align”
- CFP: 2022 Chulalongkorn Asian Heritage Forum
- CFP: 15th International Indonesia Forum Conference: “Indonesia’s Complexity: Investigating the Layers Between the Apparent and the Underlying”
- CFP: Association for Asian Studies 2023 Annual Conference
- Call for Applications: ISTR Asia Pacific Regional PhD Seminar