Conferences | Funding | Jobs | Journals | Workshops, etc.
Calls for papers (CFPs) for professional and academic conferences related to the study of Southeast Asia.
Postings are removed after deadlines have passed, and new CFPs are highlighted bi-weekly in our email newsletter.
Have a CFP and/or conference to share? Email us.
EuroSEAS 2022 – Paris, 28 June-1 July 2022
Location: Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Campus Condorcet, Paris-Aubervilliers, France.
The deadline for final registration & payment is 15 May for conveners, presenters, discussants and chairs. After 15 May it is only possible to register and finalize the payment if you will join the conference as a spectator.
For registration and more info, go here
Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asian Studies National University of Singapore | July 18-22, 2022
This five-day forum, the seventeenth of an annual series of forums for (advanced) PhD graduate students and scholars who have graduated with a PhD degree within the past two years, and whose research focuses on Southeast Asia, will be organised thematically online. Themes broadly reflect (though not limited to) the core research strengths of the Asia Research Institute, including the Asian dynamics of religion, politics, economy, gender, culture, language, migration, urbanism, science and technology, identities, population and social change.
Asia Pacific Dance Festival Conference, “Ulana—To Weave or Knit,” August 12-14, 2022
The Asia Pacific Dance Festival Conference is a three-day conference offering the best of culture-based dance research, approaches, and issues. The Festival Conference seeks to provide opportunities for students, faculty, independent scholars and individuals involved in dance in diverse ways to share traditional and practice-based research and dance concerns with an international audience.
The conference convenes scholars and experts from across the globe for a look at the historical views and contemporary themes informing cultural dance today. Participants will be immersed in the rich knowledge of culture-based dance through conference speakers, presentations, panels, workshops, and performances in an intimate environment fostering collaboration, sharing, and building of relationships.
7th International Conference on Lao Studies, 15 – 18 November 2022
The Alfred Deakin Institute for Citizenship and Globalisation (ADI), Deakin University and the Center for Lao Studies (CLS) are pleased to announce that the Seventh International Conference on Lao Studies (ICLS7) will be held on November 15-18, 2022, with the theme Science, society, and healthy futures.
It will be the first online Lao Studies Conference. The main objective of the conference is to provide an international forum for scholars and practitioners to present and discuss any research that is directly concerned with Laos.
For registration, visit the conference registration page [new window]
Call For Papers
SEALC: Call for Proposals: Materials Development
SEALC invites proposals for collaboratively developed teaching materials that will impact a language group’s curricular resources. The purpose of this award is to offer an opportunity for instructors to implement the pedagogical training they have received to improve the curriculum. SEALC requests proposals for small projects that can be completed within a period of 6-9 months. For example, a group might develop 5 oral proficiency lessons at the advanced level. To enrich our small field, the high-quality materials developed with this funding will be open-access and shared with the SE Asian language teaching community via the SEALC website.
For more info, go here.
Deadline: May 15 and Oct 15, 2022
CFP: CLaSIC2022 Conference – “Foreign Language Education in the 21st Century: Review, Re-conceptualise, and Re-align”| Deadline: June 30, 2022
The CLaSIC2022 Organising Committee invites proposals for paper and poster presentations related to the conference theme. Visit the conference website [new window] for more details.
Submissions are to be made online at UVENTs by latest 30 June 2022. Submissions on other topics may also be considered, but preference will be given to those directly related to the published sub-themes.
The proposal submission for CLaSIC2022 is open now. This year we will use a new online platform, UVENTS, for proposal submission.
Enquiries can be directed to the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
CFP: Council on Thai Studies (COTS) 2022 50th anniversary | October 21 – October 23
The Council on Thai Studies (COTS) is an informal organization of scholars interested in all aspects of Thai studies, broadly defined. First established in 1972, COTS annually provides scholars with a venue for reporting preliminary findings, opportunities to receive prepublication feedback and a forum to discuss field and archive challenges. Please consider giving a presentation or gathering a small group for a roundtable discussion or panel. Graduate students are particularly encouraged to submit papers, although everyone is welcome. Individual topics or groupings of papers are also welcome. An effort will be made to group individual papers into panel sessions around common themes. Each presenter will have a maximum of 15 minutes for an oral presentation.
This year is the 50th Anniversary of COTS, and thus this conference will be historic. Keynote speakers will include Professor Emeritus Thongchai Winichakul (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and Professor Pinkaew Laungaramsri (Chiang Mai University).
CFP: 2022 Chulalongkorn Asian Heritage Forum| Deadline: July 7, 2022
Areas of Interest include:
Thai Studies – both as area studies and a specific field of study
Tai Studies – both as area studies and a specific field of topics, such as Linguistic, Literature, Ethnography, Anthropology, Sociology, Health Science;
Buddhist Studies and Thai Buddhism – for Buddhist studies the research should be done in the Thai -region and help to understand Tai-Thai Buddhism;
Trends and critical theory on a subject in the Tai – Thai region; and ASEAN regional and comparative research, of which Thailand is a major subject of the research or that aims for an understanding of Tai- Thai.
For more information, visit Thai studies website [new window]
CFP: 2022 ANU Indonesia Institute Postgraduate Workshop| DEADLINE: July 16, 2022
The ANU Indonesia Institute is hosting an interdisciplinary conference for students conducting Indonesia-related research at the postgraduate and honours level. All postgraduate and honours students enrolled at ANU or other universities who are conducting research on Indonesia are encouraged to attend and present their research.
For queries about the postgraduate conference please contact: email@example.com
To register to attend or present a paper, go to Survey Monkey [new window]
CFP: 15th International Indonesia Forum Conference: “Indonesia’s Complexity: Investigating the Layers Between the Apparent and the Underlying”| Deadline: July 29, 2022
The 15th Annual International Indonesia Forum Conference (Virtual Format), titled Indonesia’s Complexity: Investigating the Layers between the Apparent and the Underlying, invites scholars from all over the world to examine the multilayered dimensions of Indonesian society in their own fields of research and analysis. The conference welcomes scholars of Indonesia from across various disciplines – including arts, history, political science, economics, anthropology, sociology, literary studies, and others – to gather and present their work, with a view toward highlighting Indonesia’s complexity in its various articulations.
Submit a short CV and one-page abstract, plus additional page(s) for references in electronic form (PDF or Microsoft Word) to firstname.lastname@example.org, by Friday, July 8, 2022 (11:59 p.m. EST). All abstracts must be in English, and papers will likewise be presented in English.
Abstract acceptance email will be sent by July 29, 2022.
Question(s) regarding conference please contact: email@example.com
More info, go to cseas.yale.edu [new window]
Call for Papers/Posters: The Indo-Pacific Prehistory Association’s 22nd Congress (IPPA 22) | Chiang Mai, Thailand | 7-12 November 2022
The Indo-Pacific Prehistory Association is inviting paper and poster contributions for the 22nd Congress (IPPA 22) to be held in Chiang Mai, Thailand, 7-12 November 2022. The deadline for submission of abstracts is 15th August 2022.
CFP: Indonesia Focus Conference 2022-Bridging The Gap Across Inequalities| Deadline: August 30, 2022
The 2022 Indonesia Focus Conference welcomes any research findings on important and interesting research ideas related to Indonesia. The conference will be hybrid, hosted by the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
The conference theme for this year is Bridging the gap across inequalities. The theme reflects ongoing issues during the COVID-19 pandemic and how scholars explore this topic from different perspectives. The conference focuses on sharing experiences as well as identifying short-term and long-term solutions for the recovery of Indonesia.
For more info, go to the Indonesia Focus Conference’s page [new window]
- Yale Chapter of the International Society of Tropical Foresters (ISTF) 28th Annual Conference: “Rethinking Restoration and Recovery: Landscapes of the Past, Present, and Future in the Tropics.” January 27 – 29, 2022. (online)
- 45th CSEAS Kyoto University Hybrid Symposium, themed “Engaging Transdisciplinarity: Variegated Trajectories in Southeast Asian Studies.” February 18-19, 2022 (hybrid)
- 21st Annual IGSC Conference: Reimagining Our Shared Future, February 17-20, 2022 (online)
- 24th Cornell SEAP Graduate Student Conference: “(De)Constructing Southeast Asia,” March 11-13, 2022 (hybrid)
- 2022 School of Pacific and Asian Studies Graduate Student Conference at University of Hawai’i at Mānoa | April 6-7, 2022.
- 14th International Conference on Thai Studies “Thailand at a Global Turning Point“| April 29 – May 1, 2022
- 31st Annual Meeting of the Southeast Asian Linguistics Society (SEALS 31), May 19 – 21, 2022
- 2022 AIFIS-MSU Conference on Indonesian Studies| June 21 – 25, 2022
- CFP: May 20-21, 2022 & June 10-11, 2022 Workshop Inter-Asia Intermediality: A Two-Part International Workshop
- CFP: Aquatic Powers: Divine Animals of the Asia Pacific Conference, June 1-3, 2022
- CFP: Oceans as Archives University of Amsterdam, July 4 – 6, 2022
- CFP: Inclusion Economics at Yale “Enabling Gender-Sensitive Covid Recovery in Asia Conference” in Tokyo, Japan on July 12-13, 2022
- CFP: Global History Student Conference 2022 | Friedrich-Meinecke-Institut of the Freie Universität, Berlin | June 24 to 26.
- Call for Abstracts: 2nd Annual AIFIS-MSU Conference on Indonesian Studies, June 21-25, 2022 (virtual)
- CFP: 12th European Association for Southeast Asian Studies (EuroSEAS) conference | Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Campus Condorcet, Paris-Aubervilliers, France | 28 June-1 July 2022
- CFP: The Institute of Thai Studies, Chulalongkorn University’s 2022 Chulalongkorn Asian Heritage Forum, August 25-26
- CFP: SouthWest Conference on Asian Studies
- CFP: The 2nd Southeast Asian Media Studies Conference (June 9-11, 2022 via Zoom)
- Call for Papers and Presentations 38th COTSEAL ANNUAL CONFERENCE at SEASSI 2022 (Hybrid) Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity in Southeast Asian Language Teaching and Learning
- Call for Proposal: NEW YORK Conference on Asian Studies (October 7-8, 2022)
- CFP: SEADL Undergraduate Paper Award