FLAS Fellowship 2022-23 Deadline Extended
The Center for Southeast Asian Studies offers academic year and/or summer Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships that include tuition and stipend. The fellowship is open to U.S. citizen and permanent resident undergraduate and graduate students for study at UH-Mānoa.
Undergraduate & Graduate Student FLAS Fellowships
Term: Academic Year 2022-23
Application Deadline Extended: Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 5:00 PM (HST)
Eligibility & Fellowship Information
- FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be full-time, classified students at UH-Mānoa (UHM) or in the process of applying to a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program at UHM at the time of application.
- FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students in residence at UHM to receive the Fellowship.
- East-West Center Degree Fellows are not eligible for academic year FLAS, but are eligible for summer FLAS.
- Graduate students holding an academic year FLAS are not eligible to hold a concurrent GA/TA/RA position.
- Fellowships are awarded for one academic year and/or one summer at a time (see below) and recipients may apply again for continued funding for up to two years of the Fellowship.
- Fieldwork/Research: FLAS Fellowships are not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your academic department for possible research/fieldwork funding opportunities from other sources.
* Southeast Asian Coursework Requirement: In addition to the language requirement, all FLAS recipients must also take at least one upper division (300 level or higher) Southeast Asia area studies course each semester. View our Fall 2022 Southeast Asia Course List here.
All questions related to FLAS Fellowships and the application process can be directed to:
Dr. Miriam Stark, CSEAS Director
More information about the fellowship and application process are available here.