Call for Papers
The Issue 15 deadline has passed as of April 20, 2018.
This page will be updated when the CFP for Issue 16 is announced.
Explorations is edited and published by graduate students at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa with administrative support provided by the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS). The journal provides a peer-reviewed forum for graduate scholarship on Southeast Asia. Submissions are welcomed from students worldwide in all disciplines, however the author must be currently enrolled in an academic program or a recent graduate (within the last year). The journal is produced through a blind review process, by volunteer editors with the guidance of a faculty advisor. Explorations is published electronically and is hosted on the CSEAS website and on UH Mānoa’s ScholarSpace. Works published in Explorations are not necessarily representative of the views of the editors or CSEAS, and responsibility for the opinions expressed and the factual accuracy of papers lies with the individual authors.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Submissions are considered on a rolling basis until the final deadline mentioned above. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Please submit your work by email, as a Word document (.doc or .docx, not .pdf) following the Explorations Style Guidelines, to email@example.com.
- Submissions should follow Chicago style, using endnotes and including a complete Bibliography of all works used. The total length of the submission should not exceed 30 pages in length.
- Submissions are expected to neither be currently under review for another publication, nor to have been previously published elsewhere.
TYPES OF SUBMISSIONS CONSIDERED:
- Original research papers,
- Reviews of current books, films or exhibitions,
- Original translations of poetry or short stories in English, from a Southeast Asian language
- Photo essays
- “Notes from the Field” pieces, that is, informal essays on firsthand field research experiences written for a graduate student audience
- Short reviews of new research tools and resources useful for research
Explorations is supported by the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS) and the Student Activities and Program Fee Board (SAPFB) at the University of Hawai‘i. The journal is produced through a blind review process, by volunteer editors with the guidance of a faculty advisor. The editorial board consists of graduate students from a range of disciplines whose regional interests lie within Southeast Asia. The journal is published electronically and in hard copy, and is distributed to major Southeast Asian studies centers and libraries both nationally and internationally. Papers published in Explorations are not necessarily representative of the views of the editors or the sponsors, and responsibility for the opinions expressed and the factual accuracy of papers lies with the individual authors.