Theme: “Bridging the Gaps: Conceptualizing Asia through an Interdisciplinary Lens”
Dates: March 22-24, 2017
- Abstract submissions and application forms due January 20, 2017.
- Final papers due February 15, 2017.
Conference website: https://spasgraduateconference2017.wordpress.com/
The School of Pacific and Asian Studies (SPAS) at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM) welcomes proposals for papers, performances, and panels for its 28th annual graduate student conference. The conference will be held at the Center for Korean Studies on the UHM campus in Honolulu, HI on March 22-24, 2017. The theme this year is “BRIDGING THE GAPS: CONCEPTUALIZING ASIA THROUGH AN INTERDISCIPLINARY LENS.”
We are interested in papers and panels that critically address and/or contest disciplinary and regional approaches to the study of Asia. We also encourage those with a background in the arts to propose performances.
We are especially looking for presentations that:
- Involve original research in any area of Asia and Asian Studies
- Incorporate interdisciplinary methods and frameworks
- Engage comparative studies or transnational issues
- Explore new and emerging trends in Asian Studies
- Critically re-examine existing methodologies and frameworks
- Present Asian performance practices
Please complete the application form according to the listed guidelines and instructions, and submit it by JANUARY 20, 2017. The form may be accessed HERE.
Additionally, since all accepted papers/panels will have discussants, presenters should be prepared to submit their papers by FEBRUARY 15, 2017.
Abstract submission deadline: JANUARY 20, 2017
There will be awards for “best paper” in the following areas:
- Best Japan Paper
- Best Korea Paper
- Best Southeast Asia Paper
A limited number of partial travel grants to the conference site will be available.
If you have any questions, please contact the conference planning committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please refer to our Facebook page, “2017 SPAS Graduate Conference,” or our website at https://spasgraduateconference2017.wordpress.com/.