FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND AREA STUDIES FELLOWSHIPS
SOUTHEAST ASIAN STUDIES 2015-2016
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, January 16 by 5:00PM HST
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for Fall 2015-Spring 2016
For U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate ($15,000 stipend and up to $18,000 for tuition for up to 9 credits per semester) or undergraduate students ($5,000 stipend and up to $10,000 for tuition for up to 12 credits per semester) who combine modern Southeast Asian language training with a Southeast Asia area studies focus.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for Summer 2015
($2,500 stipend and tuition up to $5,000) for U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate students who will enroll in a formal summer program of intensive language study in Southeast Asia with 120 contact hours in language level 3 & level 4. Graduate and undergraduates at 1st and 2nd year language levels require 140 contact hours and are encouraged to apply for intensive summer language study at the Southeast Asia Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) at the University of Wisconsin.
CRITERIA AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT ACADEMIC YEAR FLAS
1. FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
2. FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified students at UHM at the time of the award.
3. Applicants must be taking a Southeast Asian language (Cambodian, Tagalog, Indonesian, Thai, or Vietnamese) during the award period. Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a 3rd year or higher language course, while graduate students can be enrolled in 1st year or higher language course (though preference is given to applicants at levels beyond 1st year).
4. Academic year fellowship recipients must take at least one upper division (300 level or higher) Southeast Asia area studies course each semester
5. Use of academic year FLAS funding overseas is restricted to special cases that will be reviewed by the Center for Southeast Asian Studies Scholarships Committee on an individual basis. Final approval of your request will be partially determined by the submission of an official letter of sponsorship from a university or educational organization in your proposed country of research along with acceptance into a language program at an approved language school in your host country. Applicants in this category are given lowest priority in the award selection process.
CRITERIA AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SUMMER FLAS
1. Summer FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified students at UHM at the time of the award.
2. Awardees in 3rd year and 4th year language study must enroll in a formal summer intensive language-training program with 120 hours of instruction for a period of 6 weeks or longer. Individual tutoring is not acceptable.
3. Awardees in 1st year and 2nd year summer language study may be supported with FLAS by attending the Southeast Asia Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) at the University of Wisconsin. Students at this level must complete 140 hours of instruction over a period of 6 weeks or longer. Individual tutoring is not acceptable. Please note that you will be applying directly to SEASSI for admission, not CSEAS. For information on SEASSI and their application process, visit http://seassi.wisc.edu/. Please note on your application that you will be applying to SEASSI.
4. Graduate student applicants desiring to study in-country are responsible for selecting a summer language program that meets the language learning criteria for summer FLAS noted above. Final approval of the program rests with the Center for Southeast Asian Studies Scholarships Committee. Undergraduate applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The application has a text box in which you should list the name of the proposed language program, location, cost, and website URL. You may be requested to provide a syllabus of the summer program at a later date. All questions related to FLAS awards and the application process can be directed to:
Dr. Chizuko Allen, Fellowships Coordinator
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 808.956.2210
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Complete the online application form on the CSEAS website.
- Send Reference forms to three referees (see below).
- Submit a COPY of your UH transcript via email to email@example.com. If newly entering a UH grad program in 2014, please include a COPY of the transcript from the school in which you earned your BA/BS. No originals needed.
- If you are newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of your GRE or GMAT scores used for graduate admission.
- The transcript and/or GRE/GMAT scores should be sent as a SINGLE pdf file to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label the file as “FLAS_ApplicantLastName.pdf” and note “SEA FLAS Supplemental Materials_ApplicantLastName” as the subject of your email.
**DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION: Friday, January 16, 2015 by 5:00PM**
SEND THE FORM-FILLABLE REFERENCE FORM TO YOUR REFEREE AND REQUEST THAT THEY SEND THE COMPLETED FORM TO email@example.com BY THE ABOVE DEADLINE.
1. You must have three (3) references submitted. Please consider your referees wisely. Do not leave this requirement to the last minute as professors are often inundated with requests for letters of reference.
2. Send your selected referees the template we have included for you on this website. You must remind them that the deadline for receiving these recommendations is Friday, January 16, 2015. They should be emailed to the address noted above.
**DEADLINE FOR LETTERS OF REFERENCE: Friday, January 16, 2015 by 5:00PM**