Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year Fellowship
For U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate ($15,000 stipend and up to $18,000 for tuition for up to 9 credits per semester) or undergraduate students ($5,000 stipend and up to $10,000 for tuition for up to 12 credits per semester) who combine modern Southeast Asian language training with a Southeast Asia area studies focus.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowship
For U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate students ($2,500 stipend and tuition up to $5,000) who will enroll in a formal summer program of intensive language study in Southeast Asia with 120 contact hours in language level 3 & level 4. Graduate and undergraduates at 1st and 2nd year language levels require 140 contact hours and are encouraged to apply for intensive summer language study at the Southeast Asia Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) at the University of Wisconsin.
CRITERIA AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT ACADEMIC YEAR FLAS
1. FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
2. FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified students at UHM at the time of the award.
3. Applicants must be taking a Southeast Asian language (Cambodian (Khmer), Tagalog, Indonesian, Thai, or Vietnamese) during the award period. Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a 2nd year or higher language course, while graduate students can be enrolled in 1st year or higher language course (though preference is given to applicants at levels beyond 1st year).
4. Academic year fellowship recipients must take at least one upper division (300 level or higher) Southeast Asia area studies course each semester
5. The FLAS is not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your department for possible fieldwork funding opportunities or check out our scholarships page/subscribe to our weekly newsletter for external funding possibilities at http://www.cseashawaii.org/students/scholarships/
CRITERIA AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SUMMER FLAS
1. Summer FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified students at UHM at the time of the award.
2. Awardees in 3rd year and 4th year language study must enroll in a formal CSEAS-approved summer intensive language-training program with 120 hours of instruction for a period of 6 weeks or longer. Individual tutoring is not acceptable.
3. Awardees in 1st year and 2nd year summer language study may be supported with FLAS by attending the Southeast Asia Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) at the University of Wisconsin. Students at this level must complete 140 hours of instruction over a period of 6 weeks or longer. Individual tutoring is not acceptable. Please note that you will be applying directly to SEASSI for admission, not CSEAS. For information on SEASSI and their application process, visit http://seassi.wisc.edu/. Please note on your application that you will be applying to SEASSI.
4. Graduate student applicants desiring to study in-country should contact CSEAS to find out if there is a vetted program in your language country. Undergraduate summer applicants may also apply for recognized Study Abroad programs. The application has a text box in which you should list the name of the proposed language program, location, cost, and website URL. You may be requested to provide a syllabus of the summer program at a later date. All questions related to FLAS awards and the application process can be directed to:
Dr. Chizuko Allen, Fellowships Coordinator
Email: email@example.com Tel: 808.956.2210
5. The FLAS is not a stipend for field research/work. Please check with your department for possible field work funding opportunities or check out our scholarships page/subscribe to our weekly newsletter for external funding possibilities at http://www.cseashawaii.org/students/scholarships/
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Complete the online application form via the green button above.
- Send Reference forms to three referees (see below).
- Submit a COPY of your UH transcript via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of the transcript from the school in which you earned your BA/BS. No originals needed.
- If you are newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of your GRE or GMAT scores used for graduate admission.
- The transcript and/or GRE/GMAT scores should be sent as a SINGLE pdf file to: email@example.com. Please label the file as “FLAS_ApplicantLastName.pdf” and note “SEA FLAS Supplemental Materials_ApplicantLastName” as the subject of your email.
- FLAS applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to demonstrate financial need. See directions below.
SEND THE FORM-FILLABLE REFERENCE FORM TO YOUR REFEREE AND REQUEST THAT THEY SEND THE COMPLETED FORM TO firstname.lastname@example.org BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE.
1. You must have three (3) references submitted. Please consider your referees wisely. Do not leave this requirement to the last minute as professors are often inundated with requests for letters of reference.
2. Send your selected referees the template we have included for you on this website. You must remind them that the deadline for receiving these recommendations. They should be emailed to the address noted above.
FLAS applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to demonstrate financial need. Go here to access the form: https://fafsa.ed.gov. After completing the form, please send it as a pdf to Dr. Allen. If you have any questions about FAFSA, you can contact Dr. Allen at 956-2210 or email@example.com.
DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 15, 2016