Southeast Asia Calls! If you want to answer in Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Khmer, or Tagalog, we invite you to study Southeast Asian languages at the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa! The Center for Southeast Asian Studies offers academic year and/or summer Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships that include tuition and stipend. Open to U.S. citizen and permanent resident undergraduate and graduate students for study at UH-Mānoa.
ELIGIBILITY & FELLOWSHIP INFORMATION
- FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be full-time, classified students at UH-Mānoa (UHM) or in the process of applying to a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program at UHM at the time of application.
- FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students at UHM at the time of the award.
- Fellowships are awarded for one academic year and/or one summer at a time (see below) and recipients may apply again for continued funding for up to two years of the Fellowship.
- Fieldwork/Research: FLAS Fellowships are not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your academic department for possible fieldwork funding opportunities or see our Scholarships and Upcoming Funding pages. Applications for the Luce Fellowship for Research and Advanced Language Training are currently not being accepted.
All questions related to FLAS Fellowships and the application process can be directed to:
Dr. Chizuko Allen, Fellowships Coordinator
TYPES OF FLAS FELLOWSHIPS
APPLICANTS: UNDERGRADUATE & GRADUATE STUDENTS
TERM: ACADEMIC YEAR 2017-18 & SUMMER 2017 (closed)
APPLICATION PERIOD OPENS: WEDNESDAY, MAY 24, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED: FRIDAY, AUGUST 4, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Academic Year Fellowship
For U.S. citizen or permanent resident graduate or undergraduate students at UHM who combine modern Southeast Asian language training with a Southeast Asia area studies focus. FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students at UHM at the time of the award.
Benefits – Graduate Students: $15,000 stipend and up to $18,000 for tuition for up to 9 credits per semester for one academic year.
Benefits – Undergraduate Students: $5,000 stipend and up to $10,000 for tuition for up to 12 credits per semester for one academic year.
Language Requirement: All FLAS recipients must take a Southeast Asian language at UHM (Cambodian (Khmer), Tagalog, Indonesian, Thai, or Vietnamese) during the award period. Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a 2nd year or higher language course, while graduate students can be enrolled in 1st year or higher language course (though preference is given to applicants at levels beyond 1st year).
Southeast Asian Coursework Requirement: In addition to the language requirement, all FLAS recipients must also take at least one upper division (300 level or higher) Southeast Asia area studies course each semester.
Fieldwork/Research: The FLAS is not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your department for possible fieldwork funding opportunities or see our Scholarships and Upcoming Funding pages. Applications for the Luce Fellowship for Research & Language Study are not currently being accepted.
For U.S. citizen or permanent resident undergraduate or graduate students at UHM who will enroll in a formal summer program of intensive language study. In order for a FLAS Summer Fellowship to be awarded, you must be accepted into a UH CSEAS approved program of language study abroad as indicated below. Summer FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified students at UHM at the time of the award.
Students in the 3rd Year or Above of Language Study: Applicants must enroll in a formal CSEAS-approved summer intensive language-training program with 120 hours of language instruction at the 3rd or 4th year level for a period of 6 weeks or longer. Individual tutoring is not acceptable.
Students in the 1st or 2nd Year of Language Study: Applicants may apply for a UHM FLAS Summer Fellowship to study at the Southeast Asia Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) at the University of Wisconsin. Please note on your scholarship application that you will be applying to SEASSI. You will also need to apply directly to SEASSI for admission in addition to submitting a scholarship application through the UH CSEAS. Be sure to carefully review the SEASSI website for more information on the program and application deadline.
With the approval of UH CSEAS, 1st or 2nd year language students can also apply for a FLAS Summer Fellowship to participate in an alternate intensive summer language program abroad that provides 140 hours of language instruction for a period of 6 weeks or longer. Individual tutoring is not acceptable.
Countries/Programs of Study: You may apply to study abroad in an intensive summer language program that meets the minimum hours of instruction as outlined above in Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Viet Nam. Individual tutoring is not acceptable; you must participate in a formal program of language study. The online application has a text box where you should list the name of the proposed language program you are applying to, location, cost, and website URL. You may be requested to provide a syllabus of the proposed summer program if selected at a later date.
Fieldwork/Research: The FLAS is not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your department for possible fieldwork funding opportunities or check out our Scholarships and Upcoming Funding pages. Applications for the Luce Fellowship for Research & Language Study are currently not being accepted.
UH CSEAS Approved Summer Language Programs: Graduate student applicants desiring to study in-country should contact CSEAS at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if there is a vetted program in your preferred language and country of study. Undergraduate summer applicants may apply to attend SEASSI or to attend a recognized and UHM-approved Study Abroad Program that meets the minimum hours of language instruction as indicated above.
Recommended Summer Language Study Abroad Programs
- UHM Study Abroad Office
- Mānoa International Exchange
- UHM Study Abroad Opportunities in Viet Nam
- UHM Study Abroad in the Philippines
- UHM Advanced Study of Khmer
- UHM Thai Language Program – Study Abroad Opportunities
- U of WI Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSSI)
- Center for Lao Studies SAIL: Summer Study Abroad in Laos
- Critical Language Scholarship – Indonesian (Bhasa)
- US-Indo Summer Studies Program
- UCLA Summer Advanced Indonesian Program
Applicants can also contact UH CSEAS at email@example.com for other Southeast Asian language program recommendations or to confirm if your proposed program of study abroad would qualify as a CSEAS-approved program.
FLAS APPLICATION PROCESS
- Complete the online application form via the green button above.
- Send Reference forms to three referees (see below).
- Submit a COPY of your UH transcript via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of the transcript from the school in which you earned your BA/BS. No originals needed.
- If you are newly entering a UH grad program, please include a COPY of your GRE or GMAT scores used for graduate admission.
- The transcript and/or GRE/GMAT scores should be sent as a SINGLE pdf file to: email@example.com. Please label the file as “FLAS_ApplicantLastName.pdf” and note “SEA FLAS Supplemental Materials_ApplicantLastName” as the subject of your email.
- FLAS applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to demonstrate financial need. See directions below.
SEND THE FORM-FILLABLE REFERENCE FORM TO YOUR REFEREE AND REQUEST THAT THEY SEND THE COMPLETED FORM TO firstname.lastname@example.org BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE.
- You must have three (3) references submitted. Please consider your referees wisely. Do not leave this requirement to the last minute as professors are often inundated with requests for letters of reference.
- Send your selected referees the template we have included for you on this website. You must remind them that the deadline for receiving these recommendations. They should be emailed to the address noted above.
FLAS applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to demonstrate financial need. Go here to access the form: https://fafsa.ed.gov. After completing the form, please send it as a pdf to Dr. Allen. f you have any questions about FAFSA, you can contact Dr. Allen at 956-2210 or email@example.com.
2017-2018 FLAS APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED: FRIDAY, AUGUST 4, 2017 at 11:59PM